Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Art Road trip - Day 2 (recap)

The morning started off nice (no rain) -- so I went out to 'scout' out the area near my cottage. About 1/2 city block away is the beach -- so I went to visit this area first. I have heard of the famous 'Haystack Rock' before (which is near my location) -- but wow! ..until you actually see it in person! Such incredible rock formations! (and huge!) The waves continually crash against it -- but it almost seems pointless as this enormous rock formation proudly stands tall.




I found it interesting to see the various textures and organic materials on the rock formation -- grass/moss/various rock shapes, patterns and even trees! I also found it neat that as you walked around it (which took a considerable amount of walking) the views drastically changed and you were rewarded with new shapes and silhouettes of the imposing formations. (I took so many pics!!)

Ok, back to art.. just as I was about to go back and get my painting supplies -- the sky opened up and it started to rain really hard! (go figure!) I had to wait 2 hrs until it stopped.. so, I went up town to find internet (my room didn't get working internet until around 11am) -- caught up on some emails, posted to my blog and did some shopping!

At about Noon, the rain stopped and I went out with the goal to paint the first thing that inspired me! ..and I found it! a creek just outside of town, called Ecola Creek. I had several views to choose from  and I chose the one that had the creek with interior grass formations, a house and the background tree line. The weather looked 'iffy' so I hurried up on set up my easel and got my supplies ready. I was able to get about 1.5 hrs of painting in, before the rains returned (bummer!). The result is so-so.. there are areas I like and areas I will go back and improve/fix. (but-- it was great to get the chance to paint and study nature and lighting)




It rained most of the afternoon.. I grabbed a late lunch and waited to see how the weather would resolve -- but it didn't. I really am having some bad luck on this trip! owell, at least I'm relaxing and enjoying it for what it is (Vacation!)

No comments:

Post a Comment